Saturday, June 23, 2012

Trip to Abqaiq

We were bored this weekend, so we decided to drive to Abqaiq. Abqaiq is another company compound about an hour south of where we are. It turned out to be a rather uneventful trip - except for a spilled strawberry milk incident - but it was nice to get out of the house.

One big thing that did come with it was that I experienced (as did all three children) the hottest temperature that I have yet to experience ever - 119 degrees! It is hot, but I was not all that uncomfortable. Really, I think I am best suited for the temperatures in this country!

Check out our pictures from the trip below:


On the way there, we repeatedly saw bulldozers on the Interstate and immediately next to the Interstate plowing the sand off of the road.  The sand just blows onto the road all the time, and it would otherwise cover up the road in short order.

You can't read the writing, but I took this because I think it's funny that Arabic does not translate directly into English.  It's phonetic instead.  So the word "Abqaiq" was spelled differently on each and every interstate sign.  This one says "Baqaiq."


Fun in the back seat.  "No!  Don't take my picture, mama!"
The Hungry Bunny?  Hmm, I guess I didn't know bunnies were typically very hungry.  I found out later that this is a fast food chain similar to McDonalds. 


Oh yeah. 


Abqaiq is a lot like Dhahran, except it's smaller and deserted. 
It does have a nice fountain.  If you think that fountains that look like a man peeing is nice.


Very exciting!  We saw a train on the way home! (It was really dusty that day - can you tell?)


This sign is an exit sign.  It says "Junkyard" and underneat that it says "Cattle Market."  Junkyard and cattle market.  Not to be confused!

No comments:

Post a Comment